Reviewing All The Movies I Watched in Quarantine

Megan Kang, Casual Critic

I like watching stuff sometimes. I’m not super passionate about film; it’s just entertainment to me. Being in my house all summer, I had a lot of free time and consumed a great abundance of content, so today I will be briefly reviewing and rating all the movies and shows I watched in quarantine. Below are the opinions of a casual critic.

Realistic depiction of what I looked like watching films at home. Photo from VENTS Magazine.

13th

13th features a classic documentary style with interviews, old videos and photos, and dramatic background music. The title is a reference to the 13th amendment that was made to abolish slavery except when it is punishment for a crime, and the film discusses how persecution and racism has evolved throughout American history. Anyone and everyone should watch this film. 10/10.

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

This series has a very long but fun to say name. I am usually a sucker for romance, but I did not like any relationship in this story. It was a bit weirdly coordinated how the characters had camera interviews like The Office. Being in a high school production is a dream of mine, so all the theatre scenes gave me fomo. 6/10.

Chicago

I have been wanting to see the movie version ever since I saw the Hampton High School production of Chicago. My favorite part was again the doll scene. Musical film is the best genre. 8/10.

The Great Gatsby

I have not read The Great Gatsby, but I think I may have to for English class. First off, Leonardo DiCaprio is a great actor, of course. He made many scenes perfectly awkward as psychotic Gatsby. I also thought it was realistic how every man seemed to have a sheen of sweat on his face at all times. It looked very hot where they were, and they were all always wearing full suits. The ending was obviously unsatisfying. 8/10.

The Sound of Music

Honestly, it was slow paced and boring (this will be a pattern in my dislikes). I appreciated the singing and the scenery and that’s it. 6/10.

La La Land

Okay, I’ve been meaning to see this since the 2018 Hampton High School marching band theme was announced. I really hated Emma Stone’s yellow dress, but I liked everything else. The acting and cinematography were fantastic. A nice twist in the end but still very sad. 8/10.

Call Me By Your Name

The scenery was so beautiful, and everything the characters ate looked scrumptious. Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer expertly created chemistry and tension together. The ending was heartbreaking. 8/10.

Your Name

It was boring. A lot of scenes were very sweet, but the plot and pacing were not my cup of tea. The animation and cinematography were spectacular though. 6/10.

Aladdin (the 2019 one)

All the musical scenes were super up-beat, definitely reminded me of the bouncy animation in the original. I preferred this opening scene much better than the animation’s. Everything else was forgettable. 7/10.

Beetlejuice

Tim Burton does non-animated movies? Who knew?  The costumes were funky and fun. Overall, the plot was Halloween-spooky, and there wasn’t enough energy. 7/10.

Lucy

I really did not like this movie. I’m not into a lot of action, and both the plot and ending sucked. Morgan Freeman’s scenes were the only good part. 3/10.

Marriage Story

Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver had fantastic on screen chemistry. Their acting was flawless. Some may say that both Charlie and Nicole were equally at fault; however, I disagree. Charlie was despicable to Nicole. She was justified in chasing her dreams. A little slow at some parts. 8/10.

One Punch Man

I love this show. It is my absolute favorite; I’ve seen it twice. My sister became a fan of anime after we watched the series together. It is hilarious with the perfect blend of action, relationships, and comedy. The animation is beautiful and simultaneously crappy at the right times. I would rate the two seasons separately, because in the second, there is less detailed scenery and some fight scenes drag on. The first season is a 10/10, and the second a 9/10.

The Pursuit of Happiness

Will Smith is an amazing actor, and the relationship between him and Jaden made their scenes especially sweet and sad. The plot captivated me, and Chris Gardner’s success story is genuinely inspiring. 10/10.

Never Have I Ever

The main character Devi Vishwakumar seems like the antagonist. She wrecks havoc on all relationships and self-destructs her own life at every chance she gets. I did think it was funny sometimes. I felt better about my own life after watching, too. 8/10.

Lady Bird

I did not love this movie. I heard great things about it, so it was a let down when I actually watched it. Lady Bird seemed like a basic coming-of-age film to me. The acting was good. I think. 7/10.

The Act

I did not know Joey King had RANGE. Her acting was amazing and brought a lot of emotion. All of the flashbacks made sense and had easy to follow transitions. There were some disturbing images, but then again, the whole show was disturbing. 8/10.

Pride and Prejudice

I loved the costumes; they looked really nice on the actors. The tension between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy is fun to watch. The last scene was cringe to me, but it’s iconic nonetheless. 8/10.

Anna Karenina

A lot like Pride and Prejudice, except with more drama. Really interesting set up where it’s a movie within a theater. The settings were beautiful, and I really liked the elaborate costumes. 8/10.

Boys State

I actually loved this documentary. It was really entertaining to see the boys goofing around. The scenes of just the speeches where the subjects were so nervous yet still well-spoken made me want to work on my public speaking skills. Throughout the film, the angle seemed more favorable to Steven to make the ending more effective, and it worked. It was a sad surprise. I felt bad for René, too. 9/10.

Circle

This movie held my interest for the whole time, but the plot and the ending were just bad. It was an ok plot twist, but the horribly done sci-fi mystery end was over-the-top cheesy. I was probably able to power through it because of all the crazy arguments. 4/10.

The Platform

A TikTok piqued my interest for this one. Movies with a lot of gore usually scare me away, but I just looked away at the worst parts. The ending confused me; I looked it up, and I’m still confused. 8/10.

Vivarium

Everything was repetitive in this movie which made sense for the plot. I appreciated that it was a thriller but not very scary. The best part was the ending because The Boy’s clean up was therapeutic in an ASMR sense. 7/10.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

It was much too slow for my taste, very boring. I didn’t really like any of the characters. The clothing was pretty, especially Audrey Hepburn’s iconic outfit in the opening scene. 5/10.

Weathering With You

This anime film was slow and boring. However, there was a lot of nice cinematography. 5/10.

The Kissing Booth 2

The plot was terrible and ridiculous but so enjoyable. I will be watching The Kissing Booth 3 when it comes out. 4/10.

I did not get to watch everything that caught my interest over quarantine, so here’s the rest of my movies and shows bucketlist:

• Cats
  • The Devil Wears Prada
  • Self Made
  • Euphoria
  • Napoleon Dynamite
  • Patriot Act
  • Knock Down The House
  • LA 92
  • Sunshine on Leith
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • Miss Virginia
  • Casablanca
  • William Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet 
  • Little Boy
  • Emma.
  • The Danish Girl
  • Crimson Peak
  • Marie Antoinette
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  • Atonement
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Jane Eyre
  • Parasite
  • Violet Evergarden
  • When Marnie Was There
  • Her
  • The Invitation
  • Booksmart
  • Dead Poets Society
  • As Above, So Below
  • Paprika
  • Jojo Rabbit

If you agree or disagree with any of my ratings, please write a comment down below.