Late to The Game

Books I read when I was younger.

Megan Kang, Writer

Throughout elementary and middle school, I read like a heathen and devoured books like candy. Looking back, the novels I chose to read were quite cheesy, but at least I had a love for the written word. I wanted to be an author. Like many others, I started but never finished many ambitious manuscripts. 

In eighth grade, I stopped reading. It was no longer a favorite pastime of mine. Now I liked to watch videos and play games on my phone. But of course, while I stopped creating for leisure, I still had to write in English classes. 

Long gone were the days of poetry units, however. Instead it was essay after essay analyzing boring books that I didn’t read. There was no need for a personal voice, and scoring well was the only thing on my mind.

When I reached sophomore year, I rediscovered an interest in writing and reading outside of school. All it took was to pick up an interesting book. I decided to join the Hamptonian, first as a club member and then later in junior year as a journalism student. Around the same time, I started to write original poetry. At first I wrote only satire, and it was fun to laugh at and share with friends. But as I progressed, I realized I had more to write about.

My approach to writing, whether I’m crafting an essay, article, or poem, is simple: I open Notepad and write down a topic that comes to mind. Topics that interest and move me are the easiest to write about. 

For poetry, I type all poems out on Notepad and try to keep a consistent flow so I don’t have enough time for second guesses to stop me. For essays and articles, I research my topics, break down the main points I want to hit, and build upon them. Admittedly, I care less about grammar than effectively telling a story, and personalized styles like Margaret Atwood’s inspire me to stray from the rules in creative pieces. I’m also tired of shying away from words. Even if some think my compositions are amateur or cheesy, I can learn and revise.

While writing is still hard for me, it’s always motivating to look back on old pieces and recognize how much my work has improved since. I know that many others like me enjoyed reading and writing when they were younger but no longer do. I feel sad that past me missed out on opportunities to advance my writing earlier, but everyone has to follow their own path. Being a late bloomer shouldn’t stop anyone. It won’t stop me.