Muffin Mystery

Back to Article
Back to Article

Muffin Mystery

On October 1st 2018, the “Busy Bean” was officially opened and has left a mark in all HHS students hearts. The Busy Bean was created so that the special education students at Hampton could practice jobs skills like running a store. This small idea exploded into what all HHS students know and love.

The Busy Bean was most known for it’s muffin variety. With this said, the Busy Bean served blueberry, chocolate chip, chocolate, and coffee cake. These muffins were one dollar each, which makes them very affordable. With all this said, the most prominent question is where did all these great muffin choices go? Well, Ms. Stevwing said, “The muffins weren’t very healthy and didn’t follow Hampton’s Health Guidelines.” This is a shock to many customers of the Busy Bean, but don’t get too upset yet, there’s more. 

Instead, the busy bean will be replacing the “Costco” muffins with an “Otis Spunkmeyer” muffin. These muffins are smaller but will still be served in chocolate, chocolate chip etc. The busy bean is also adding strawberry and brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts. Many wonder why the Bean is serving pop tarts but can’t keep the old muffins. Ms. Stervwing said, “The pop tarts are made with whole grain, which follows Hampton’s guidelines.” Let’s compare the facts of all of this. A Costco chocolate chip muffin is roughly 690 calories with 38 grams of fat, 79 grams of carbs, and 10 grams of protein. The new Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate muffin is about 459 calories, 24 grams of fat, 58 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of proteins while a strawberry pop tart is 200 calories, 5 grams of fat, 38 grams of carbs, and 2 grams of protein. The facts show that the original Costco muffins might not be the healthy option. Students still don’t agree. A Junior at Hampton High school named Ben Lydon said, “I’m so sad by this. I used to get a Busy Bean muffin everyday. It really takes a toll on you.” Kole Reiser, a sophomore at Hampton High School, also had a few words about the busy bean. “I used to buy a double chocolate muffin like everyday and now I don’t think I’ll ever buy a muffin there again.” Shortly after this, Kole begins to start a chant of “Bring the muffins back.”

After all this, many students don’t agree with the new muffin change. The Busy Bean is planned to open Monday 9th of September, and these new changes should be implemented.

UPDATE: The Busy Bean opened this past Monday the 9th of September. Upon its opening many students aren’t very eager to get back to the Bean due to the muffin crisis. A poll on the Hamptonian Twitter had students answer whether they were excited to get back to the Bean. In 24 hours 87% of the people voted “Where are my muffins?!” while 13% voted “Ready to snack!”

These numbers clearly show that students are still in uproar about the muffin mystery.

Sources

https://www.calorieking.com/us/en/foods/f/calories-in-muffins-chocolate-chip-muffin/qxd79a7VTyGfe2CGbsNYJQ

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/search?q=Costco

o+Muffins

https://www.nutritionix.com/i/kelloggs/pop-tarts-frosted-strawberry/51d2fa6acc9bff111580d58a